Thursday, June 14, 2007

Update

Negreanu finished third in the shootout. The 5K No-Limit Hold 'em event started yesterday and after the first day, Jennifer Tilly is fourth in chips. I just don't get it. She is a braclet winner (the 2005 Ladies event), but every time I've seen her play, she comes off like a bigger donkey than me! And her "teacher" is Phil "The Unabomber" Laak, who I think is one of the most overrated players in poker.

Then again, I read both of their columns in Bluff Magazine every month, and they are both rather intelligent about the game. But then again, so is Phil Gordon, one of the greatest Poker minds out there, who NEVER produces on the felt. He has ZERO braclets, but has taught me more about poker than any other pro (probably because I haven't read Supersystem yet).
The countdown is on: six days until the best new event of the year: The World Championship Heads-Up No-Limit Hold 'em!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phil Gordon's bracelet is imminent. He's been playing well these last 8 mos (800K in tourney earnings) and has made numerous WSOP final tables. I'm routing for him - he has taught me so much and is a charitable guy.

Nick said...

Don't get me wrong, I like Phil Gordon. I have just not seen him play very well in the past. He was INCREDIBLE as the analyst for Celebrity Poker Showdown. Between that and the Little Green Book, I've learned a TON. I would love to see him get #1, too!

Anonymous said...

I have to chime in for Phil Gordon as well. I think he's a lot better than his WSOP record indicates. Tournaments are heavy in the variance, and so there's a ton of great players who get bad beat or cold decked or what have you out of these tournaments. Phil has won at least one WPT title, so its not like he's a slouch in tournament winnings either. His bracelet will come, eventually.

On the topic of books, I haven't read super system either, but if you're playing a lot of tournaments do yourself a favor and read all 3 of Dan Harrington's books. They are excellent and the examples give you a chance to really see and make the kind of decisions you face in a real tournament setting. And of course, Caro's Book of Poker Tells is a classic as well.