Friday, July 29, 2005



For my birthday I got the Michael Buble album. He's a crooner and on his new album he has a few songs that aren't classic "Sinatra" type of songs, that he covers in that style, including Can't Buy Me Love by the Beatles. It got me thinking about genre-crossover covers, the good and the bad. I love almost anything turned into the Big-Band sound. This morning I bought eight songs from the above pictured album. I also like Matt Dusk's version of Two Shots of Happy.

The ones I HATE are when Punk/Ska/Hardcore bands cover songs, usually 80's songs. Songs like Smooth Criminal come to mind. I do like P.O.D.'s version of Bullet the Blue Sky and I loved it when bands like Unashamed and Focused did mosh-out versions of worship songs like Awesome God.

I also can't stand country-fried covers. Oddly, I can't stand the Dixie Chicks, but I can tolerate their version of Landslide. I'm a model of contradictions, I guess.

4 comments:

Darth said...

I thought I was the only person who had the unashamed album with Awesome God....wow

Moe said...

Pat Boone? Man you are an old fart. I don't even know you.....

Hutch said...

Interesting fact of the day: After I moved out of my first dorm room, the guys from Unashamed moved in. They stayed until the end of the year and then Nick took it over as a freshman.

Moe said...

How is that Red Neck of your doing Roland?