Monday, November 07, 2005

Changes

Sorry it's been a while since I posted. Started at Citrus on Wednesday. I'm severely overwhelmed right now by everything. I remember having this same anxiety when I started at Concordia 5 years ago. It's wierd to have the same feelings all over again, especially when I am alot more prepared for the job.

I think it's natural to feel this way starting something new. I finally got a desk today (long story), but it's only a table. I'll have a real desk by the end of the week. I don't have access to anything yet, because I don't have all of the software installed on my computer that I need for the website, etc. I'll have a MAJOR job ahead of me in recreating the website. Anytime I meet someone new on campus it's, "Oh, cool, you're going to fix the website!". And yes, I am. It's going to be a long crazy project, though, and the expectations are really high. I know I will meet and even exceed what people think I'll be able to do, but there is a long way to go before I get there.

And then I have to deal with accessibility. Since we're a state school, legally, everything on the web has to be created in such a manner to be accesible to disabled people. I've never had to do this and with a website of the size and magnatude that I plan to create, I fear that this is going to be a major headache for me.

And I'm already having problems with "MIS", the information technology people. My boss jokingly has told me that the MIS is short for MIStake. She warned me months ago that it would be a headache and it is proving to be such.

Not everything is going terribly, though. I LOVE my commute and I am already reaping the benefits of a 40-hour work week. Because of games on Tuesday night and Saturday afternoon, I am going to get all-day Thurdsay off, plus a holiday on Friday (I have like 20 paid holidays at a state school!).

4 comments:

Moe said...

Yea! An update. Not that I didn't know what is going on with you...I was just sick of checking your blog to find nothing! I am glad your home more. REALLY glad.

Anonymous said...

You are up for the challenge! Look at what you created at Concordia! Mom

Hutch said...

How could the website NOT be accessable to disabled people? I know what a pain it is jumping through hoops to meet all the state regulations. Hope it gets better.

Nick said...

I even have to install software that blind people use, to test every page I make to make sure that it "works" for them. Keep in mind that at Concordia, I built and maintained a 1500+ page website. Oh Joy.