Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Long Live Holy Cow/The Glovers/MALICIDE!!!


I just reconnected with one of my best friends from High School, Brant Debow (Blog link on the right). Brant and I became friends through the quasi-retarded "christian club" at Woodbridge High School, when he was a senior and I was a freshman. I quickly became his lackey/hanger-on/roadie for his glam/metal band "Malicide". We became really good friends and I got to know a whole new group of people and started going to a second church (Red Hill Lutheran). I got in the most trouble of my life with him, too. We had gone to a concert (Focused, Unashamed, Dog Baby, etc.) down in southern OC and I was supposed to be home by midnight. Well, we were kinda-sorta working the show and kinda-sorta stayed until 2:00 am, and I kinda never called home to tell my mom where I was. Ooooops.

Anywoo...Brant and I were pretty good friends, we just lost touch after high school. He had moved on to play in Holy Cow a sortof Biola Band, when I was still in high school, and I would go see him play a TON. When I got to Biola and had a radio show on KBBK, I thought it was cool that I wasn't the only one who wanted to hear "Raid" on the radio. (I'm playing the Chrysanthemum E.P. on my Ipod as we speak).

Brant was also a drummer for Plain Jane, and the Holy Cow redux band, The Glovers. Good times!

My funniest memories with Brant were playing Zootball at the tennis courts in Turtle Rock and yelling "C-MON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" really loud out the windows of his white van, scaring the crap out of joggers and what-not.

Now we're both married dads, we still have a ton of the same interests (poker, d-land, etc.) and we reconnect just in time for me to move to Oregon. Bummer!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that night quite well - I aged a whole bunch!

Cate said...

um, Kaisara was the drummer for Plain Jane. am i missing something or are you?

Nick said...

...Maybe I am...Brant?!?!..I'm probably just confusing my Biola bands...

Anonymous said...

Oops, didn't see this comment thread until now - but hey, better late than never. Kaisara was in fact the drummer for Plain Jane. He was replaced by Tomy when they ditched Caralee, picked up Mandy and changed their name to Wonderlove (a name they stole from Holy Cow :) ). I did, however, play percussion for Avenue B, which was also a ton of the Plain Jane guys in the band. Those Biola bands were rather incestuous when it came to stealing members.

Don't ask me why I remember all this minutiae, I just do.

icon_red said...

If there is anyway you could get me a copy of Holy Cow's EP I would be forever grateful...I have been looking for it for 13 years! I loved that cd...