Wednesday, November 17, 2004

U2 - The Joshua Tree - Countdown Day V


You ever notice how Bono sort of looks like an Easter Island Statue on this cover? Anyway...Today was a great day. I got to wake up, jump in the car, sit in an hour of traffic, and blast The Joshua Tree. Although my wife was happy, I've been getting alot of flack for putting ATYCLB ahead of JT on my all-time list. So, I'm using this as a way to reevaluate where I think everything goes. I'm a list-geek, so this is very important!

The first thing that kicks you in the rear is the beautiful introduction on Where the Streets Have No Name. In a way unlike their four previous studio efforts, all four members of the band gel to perfection. One single song with the best of Adam's bass, Edge's guitar, Larry's epic driving percussion and Bono's voice. FINALLY, Bono can truly sing. He has a voice of power, conviction and subtle beauty.

The perfection continues through I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. Amazing tune. Then, the "Holy Trinity" is completed by "With or Without You". Who new that a slow ballad would become one of the best and most well known U2 songs.

The amazing part about the album is that it doesn't stop there. For the next six tracks, U2 prove that they are at the top of their game, and that they deserve the impending Grammy Award for this album.

Every song on the album is sheer brilliance for multiple reasons. Bullet the Blue Sky almost sounds weak as a studio track, but it was a moving and advancing song for the band. It is one of the best live songs ever and it almost seems tame here. But still brilliant. Bono+Harmonica= FREAKING AWESOME. I just wish he would bust it out in concert still. Running to Stand Still is one of my favorites (top 15 or so).

This album is all about Americana and you can see glaring evidence of some of America's best on the album. The harmonica alone, and songs like Red Hill Mining Town are a tribute to folk greats such as Dylan and Guthrie.

I love In God's Country. This album has the first of what I call "Alternative Worship Songs" from the band, including this and I Still Haven't Found...Seeing the band on the Elevation Tour was a moving, worshipful experience. Amazing how a rock band can help you get closer to God than anything else. If this is the "John the Baptist" of all guitar solo's, than I must refer to the "Moses" of all guitar solos in Comfortably Numb (David Gilmore, Pink Floyd). The IS one of the Edge's crowning acheivements.

After much searching and considering, I asked myself the simple question: Which ONE U2 album could I not live without. The answer is: "If I can't have both JT and ATYCLB, then just kill me." These records are now tied upon the top of my list as the #1 albums of all-time and of the U2 catalog.

Top songs to hold on to:
1. With or Without You
2. Where the Streets Have No Name
3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
4. Bullet the Blue Sky
5. In God's Country
6. Running To Stand Still
7. One Tree Hill
8. Red Hill Mining Town

Jerm's Exhaustive Look

No comments: