Thursday, November 18, 2004

U2 - Rattle & Hum - Countdown Day VI


"Okay Edge, Play the Blues!!!!!"
It seems that every time I listen to Rattle & Hum, I feel differently about it. I truly love this album, a perfect mix of live songs and new studio tracks. U2 covering and paying tribute to the best of american music is a great thing. And as a rather gigantic Bob Dylan fan, I love three songs on the album simply for the collaboration. The highlights above any other for me on the alubm are the live version of Bullet the Blue Sky and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. I said in the JT review that I love that song because of the 'worshipfulness' of it, and here with the Gospel Choir, it is just perfect (I love gospel music. My mom and I were two of the only white people at a Kirk Franklin concert in the Universal Amp a number of years back, it was awesome).

I also really like Hawkmoon. Can you imagine being Bono, working with a legend like Dylan and saying, "I don't like that one, let's do it for the 269th time". That's guts. Really, the only songs I don't care for are Heartland and Freedom for my People, which doesn't really count anyway. And although I like All Along the Watchtower for the novelty of U2 covering Hendrix covering Dylan, it seems really messy and thrown together. I've actually always perfered both the Hendrix cover and ::gasp:: the Guns & Roses cover.

I don't have too much to say about the album, I guess. You really have to read Jerm's take. I've read everything (I thought) on all of these albums, and I still learned some new stuff!

Songs to hold on to:
1. All I Want is You
2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
3. Desire
4. Hawkmoon 269
5. Helter Skelter
6. When Love Comes to Town
7. Angel of Harlem
8. Love Rescue Me
9. Van Diemen's Land
10. All Along the Watchtower

No comments: