Saturday, November 13, 2004

U2 - October - Countdown Day II


Today's album was played in the car, on the way to and from Sea World with the family. I never cared much for the album before, and I still don't. It's so interesting to me to hear how much Bono's vocals have improved in the last 25 years. That's the glaring view I have of October. Poor singing. Not poor, per se, just not Bono. The few touches of brilliance have been neglected by time. Gloria coulda/shoulda been on the Best of 80-90. October is a beautiful song. If it were just a little longer, it might be among my absolute favorites. This time around I also enjoyed Rejoice. This album is one of the first times that faith was overlty and unabashedly at the forefront, in these songs and others. It's almost like Bono was beginning to put his feet in the water commercially, to see what he could "get away with" spiritually.

Another aspect of this album is the strenth of the bass. Adam's melodies just whet the appetite for his amazing songs to come, and he carries most of the albums on his shoulders. Most glaringly to me is Scarlet, with a sublime, beautiful, understated baseline that will become one of the signatures of this band.

This is my least favorite U2 album and if it was from any other band, I most likely wouldn't have anything to do with it. It's a time-piece. A relic. A piece of history. It was also a step backwards for the boys from Dublin.

Top songs to hold on to:
1. October
2. Gloria

When I get to one day teach "U2 101":
Extra Credit text, not required.

Homework assignment: In a two-page essay, discuss the relationship between the Shalom religious group and the bands struggles in creating this album. Where do you see these struggles coming out in the music. Outside sources a must.

Jerm's Take

No comments: