Thursday, August 04, 2005

On the right side of a bad beat

Best. Tournament. Ever.

203 total entrants, I finished 16th. My goal was to make it into the money, which was the final three tables and I did that. Once we got down to 30, I was pretty short stacked and knew that I had to make a move in order to get higher. spots 22-30 all paid the same, so it didn't matter if I went out quick, I needed to try and build my stack to get to the final table. I went all-in a few times and stole the blinds, went all-in again (for about 11,000 in chips) and got called, all-in from a guy with 10,000. He had aces, I had sevens (good ole sevens, like the quads I had at MY tourney last month). Long story short, I ended up sucking out a straight with the turn and river and knocked out the aces. HUGE. I'm up to around 21,000 in chips and one hand later I knock two people out with an A-8, all of a sudden I'm up to 42,000 in chips. We condense to two tables and I'm the second biggest stack at the table. I then proceed to make a RETARDED mistake. Board comes K-A-K, three of us check around. Turn comes seven, I have Q-7, so I pair my sevens. The guy with the big stack, in first position, comes in for ten grand. I read him wrong, thinking he's trying to steal. I go all-in, he calls immediately and I know I'm hosed. He had a King and tripped up to knock me out. Still, the best I have EVER played. It's nice to know that I really do have a little skill. Maybe someday I could make a living at this.

Oh, and I lasted longer than Brian, which I had never done before, so that was nice!

3 comments:

Moe said...

No proffesional gambling while I'm your wife!

Hutch said...

I'm sure Nick will miss you.

Nice job man!

Nick said...

It was a 25 buy-in (which was covered as a birthday present) and I walked with 40.First place was $1400. That would have been nice.