Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Drunk or Just Stupid?

Let's start with Paula Abdul, shall we? There are various takes on the deeper meaning of what she did on Tuesday night when she critiqued Jason's second song before he ever sang his second song. You can read those HERE (caution foul language) or HERE. I personally think that she was reading notes that she wrote during dress rehearsals and because she's slightly insane, forgot to only talk about the first performance. The messed with the format last night, so you can't blame her ENTIRELY. Blame Jim Beam.

On with the show. With apologies to my mom, last night was pretty weak. Neil Diamond wasn't as good as, say, Andrew Lloyd Webber last week in actually giving valuable critique, other than giving Brookie some obvious advice to personalize her second song. Even my favorite, David Cook, was just ok last night. I thought the concept of his second song was great, doing a power ballad and showing off his voice, but the song it self...well it kinda sucked...

Speaking of SUCKED....David Archuleta completely destroyed two good songs. He butchered Sweet Caroline, which I think should have been done by David Cook, and then he gave the most bizarre performance with America. The music in the background sounded like someone pushed a demo button on one of those old Casio Keyboards. It was just really stinking bad last night.

I gotta give some props and some pans to Brooke. The train wreck that was her take on I'm a Believer was followed up by a perfect song, and a difficult one, that is totally in her wheel house and might just have saved her (but probably not). I'm a Believer was wretched. Even Donkey sang it better in Shrek 2. But then the second song, back to her Singer/Songwriter vibe (or the Lilith Fair shiz, as I call it). I was VERY impressed with the second song it was amazing.

Syesha was very solid last night. Same deal with her: she's a very competent singer, and has shown some personality the last few weeks. She's better suited for Broadway than American Idoly things, though, and I'm sure that's where she'll end up. She was the top vote getter last night, beating both David's.

Jason Castro was horrible. Surry. I think it's time for him to go. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to happen. Here are my rankings, followed by my predictions:

1. David Cook
2. Brooke White
3. Syesha Mercado
4. Jason Castro
5. Sanjaya
6. David Archuleta. Yeah, he's that bad.

Bottom two tonight: Castro and Brooke White. Brooke will be going home. Dial Idol (which had Carly going home last week) has Brooke in last but it's close. When you account for text messaging (and all the kiddies who text are more likely to be voting for the hippie), Jason will separate the gap and send Brooke home.

No comments: