Wednesday, June 08, 2005

This week on Netflix...

Summer is great because there is about 5% of the normal amount of TV on, so we can get through more movies in our netflix cue. Since the kids came along, we get far to few dates, so we rarely see movies in the theater anymore, so netflix has been a godsend. This week we watched the first five minutes of A Love Song for Bobby Long and were so uninterested that we gave up (another great part of netflix!). Then we watched Mr. 3000. I loved the movie as a baseball picture. it was fun. 7 out of ten fastballs. Last night we saw Being Julia. Annette Benning has been one of my favorite actresses since American Beauty, when she got beaten out for the academy award by an equally impressive Hilary Swank for Boys Don't Cry. This year Benning got beaten out by Swank again, although more deservedly this time. Benning was amazing and she single-handedly turned an average film into a good film, but Swank was flawless in Million Dollar Baby.

Next three in the netflix cue: Aviator (Melissa saw it, I haven't yet), Office Space (I saw it once, but haven't "gotten" the cult obsession with it, so I'm giving it another try) and Lara Croft, Cradle of Life. We liked the original enough to give this one a try.

3 comments:

jeric2003 said...

Meh. I hated Being Julia. But then, we've always disagreed on movies, haven't we?!

As for Office Space, it's most relevant to those who have had bosses like Lumbergh or who have worked in a very flavorless cubicle job. Actually, I just bought an Office Space shirt for Ric with Lumbergh saying, "Yeah, I'm going to need you to come in on Saturday" because it's something Ric identifies with all too well. I think that's why it's a cult thing.

Nick said...

I only saw it once, and at the time, just thought it was a semi-funny movie, but nothing special. SINCE then, it's become so huge that I have to give it another go.

Mark said...

Edwards Rancho Santa Margarita is showing old movies every Thursday at 9:00 over the summer. They conclude in September by showing Office Space on the big screen again. I cannot wait. I used to watch it every Friday night after working all week in my cubicle. I currently have a red swingline stapler on my desk.